Monday, November 26, 2012

Bermuda – November 14, 2012


Bermuda – November 14, 2012

Low clouds and rain limited the view as the ship slowly made its way into port at the far West End tip of the island.  I had been looking forward to going for a walk on a sunny day, but that was not to be.  I decided to go to one of the main dining rooms for breakfast; usually I eat at the buffet, which is faster than eating in one of the dining rooms, but today, I was in no hurry.  I hoped that the weather might improve later. 

After breakfast, I decided to go into the terminal building to see if WiFi were available there; I learned that WiFi was available for a fee, but there was no place to sit, so I returned to the ship.  I noticed that many other people were leaving the ship, some on ship tours and others on their own; they wanted to go out even in the rain.  I had been in Bermuda several times before, including a visit last December, so I did not feel any urgency to go out in the rain, especially since I would not take my camera out in the rain.  When I returned to the ship, a fire safety drill was underway, and the fire doors in the hallways were closed and locked, so I had to stand in the hallway and wait until the drill was over before I could return to my cabin.

On the ship, I relaxed.  The weather was warm, so I opened the door to my balcony and listened to the pleasant sounds of the rain. 

One hour before the ship was scheduled to leave port, the rain stopped and the sun broke through the clouds.  I went up to the top deck and took some photos as the final passengers returned to the ship, and I watched as the lines were withdrawn and the ship pushed off the pier.  The sun continued to shine at the end of the day as the ship made its way around the west side of the island and then out to sea on the east side, carefully following the safe channel through the reefs.  Sunset was not great, but it was pleasant to stand on my balcony and watch the setting sun over the island.  Two more days at sea, and then home.

No comments: