Saturday, November 09, 2013

Tuesday, 11/05/13 Tasman Sea, Day Two

Tuesday, 11/05/13 Tasman Sea, Day Two

Day two on the Tasman Sea on the way from Melbourne to New Zealand.  The violent storm continued through the night, and will continue all day today.  Seas are now 15 feet, with gale force winds continuing.  Overnight, the ship continued to experience violent jerks, and that same violent motion is expected through the day today.   At 11:00, I went to breakfast/lunch, and it felt good to get out of the cabin at last.

In the afternoon, I watched the Chicago/Green Bay game on TV, and then watched the Melbourne Cup, “The Race That Stops a Nation”.  It reminded me very much of the Kentucky Derby with lots of pageantry.  It was very elegant, and for the first time in many years, the favorite won.  The horse was trained by a woman trainer, Gai Waterford, whose dad was also a horse trainer.  I enjoyed the race, although I was not emotionally involved at all.  I had never watched the Melbourne Cup before, and it was very interesting to watch it for the first time.  The race is two miles long.

No comments: